Even the bravest person will have a hard time recovering from the death of a loved one. Show them you care by sending one of the sample funeral messages below. The best sympathy messages are written from the heart, but during a time of grief it can be difficult to find the words to express your feelings. That is why using the samples below can help you write the perfect message.
The funeral expenses and funeral planning may cause additional stress on the family. Aside from the physical and financial problems that a family may face because of the death of a family member, the worst thing is the emotional burden and grief. It may take a long time before a person can fully recover from the grief of a loss. The flowers, funeral messages, donations and food that friends and colleagues bring to a funeral will help the family recover from grief. This is what the family needs most at this point, to feel that they are not alone and that people care about them and the deceased family member.
Flowers and gifts are a nice gesture and appreciated, but funeral messages are one of the best things that help the family survive the toughest first days of the funeral. A simple card will touch the deceased person’s family’s heart and will help comfort them as they face the hardest and saddest phase of their lives. These comforting and compassionate messages may be short or long, but even a few sentences will show the family you care. The length of friendship or relationship may also affect the type of funeral message you send.
Sample Funeral Messages
1. I am sorry for your loss. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this difficult time.
2. Words are not adequate to express the sorrow felt by the loss of _____. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
3. Someone as special as _____ will never be forgotten. He or she will remain in our hearts for as long as we live.
4. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time. Please know that I am thinking of you and praying for peace and comfort.
5. The loss of _____ is unbearable, but the memories of him or her are sweet. I share your pain and sorrow am always there for you.
6. I can only imagine the pain you are going through. A beautiful soul has passed, but the memories shall never fade. Be strong.
7. We do not have any words today to express how we grieve at your loss. Our prayers and thoughts are there to help you through the days ahead.
8. Words cannot begin to express our sorrow. Lean on your friends for strength, and always remember how much you are cared about.
9. When we lose someone we love, it seems that time stands still. Those we love and lose are together with us in heart, forever with us in memory.
10. Nothing rooted in love is ever lost, for it has become part of the living whole. Hold tight to memories for comfort.
The ideal funeral messages contain loving and caring words. The messages may include promise and intent, but the giver must be sure to keep those promises so that they don’t disappoint the family. Sympathy messages may also contain funny, sweet or happy memories of the deceased person. A short message of a funny moment shared with the deceased could make the family smile. Or, you could include a moment where the deceased person helped you through a difficult situation.
Even though many of the previous words and memories can be included in a sympathy message, the best funeral messages are short and to the point. The sample funeral messages above show you how a sentence or two is all you need to express your grief to the family. For more sample messages, view our other articles on writing sympathy messages.