How do you write an obituary that will create a beautiful lasting memorial to your loved one? Follow these 5 steps and you will be able to create a well-written obituary that will create a permanent tribute to the one you’ve lost.
1. Read sample obituaries – Most people have not read many obituaries and even if you have you likely didn’t pay much attention to how they were structured. Start by reading one or more sample obituaries and pay attention to how it is written, the structure, and what is included/excluded. We have included one sample below.
2. Print an obituary guide – We recommend that you print one of our obituary format guides. It will act as a template that you can use to gather the information for the obituary.
3. Contact friends and family – Wether you are a close friend or relative of the person who passed away, you probably do not know all of the details of their life. Spend some time calling their friends and relatives and collect information for the obituary using the guide you printed. You will want to learn about their childhood, career, hobbies, education, achievements and more.
4. Read an obituary writing article – Now that you have collected pages of information, we recommend that you read more of our how do you write an obituary articles. These will walk you step-by-step through writing the obituary, they will tell you how to order the obituary, and what information should be included and excluded.
5. Fill out an obituary template – Lastly, you can write the obituary freehand or use an obituary template. Our obituary templates are fillable and make it easy to enter the information you collected. No format is set in stone. The obituary template will provide a good starting point, but feel free to add or remove information as you see fit.
ARTHUR GRIFFIN, 80
Arthur Douglas Griffin, 80, passed away on Friday, April 17, 2012 at his home in Bellingham, WA. He was born on February 23, 1932 in Arlington, WA to Ross and Theresa (Gray) Griffin.
Arthur grew up in Arlington, WA. He graduated from St. Francis High School in Arlington in 1957. After high school he attended university at the University of Washington in Seattle, WA where he received a Bachelor of Commerce degree. He then began work for Microsoft as a marketing assistant and retired as a VP of Marketing. He worked there for more than 40 years.
Arthur married Denise in 1958 in Bellingham, WA. They were happily married for 53 years.
Arthur was a member of St. David’s Lutheran Church and was very involved with the Salvation Army in Bellingham. He enjoyed power boating, fishing, hiking, watching TV, bowling, and spending time with his family. He also received an achievement award for his 20+ years of volunteer work with the Salvation Army of Bellingham.
Arthur was preceded in death by his parents Ross and Theresa Griffin; his brothers Stephen and Raymond; his sister Katharine; and his son Jeffrey (Cheryl) Griffin.
Arthur is survived by his spouse Denise of Kent, WA; his son Justin (Anna) Griffin of Mt. Vernon, OR; his daughter Alice (Frank) Carlsen of Bellingham, WA; his grandchildren Kelly, Henry and Jack, his great-grandchild Lori; and his loving nieces, nephews and numerous other relatives.
A memorial service will be held at Butler and Hayes Funeral Home, 999 14th Avenue, Bellingham, WA at 10:00 am on April 21, 2012. A visitation will be held at Butler and Hayes Funeral Home’s Chapel at 4:30 – 9:00 pm on April 20, 2012. The family will be greeting friends and relatives at 2:00 – 6:00 pm. Burial will follow at Valley View Cemetery, 5433 West 11th Ave SE, Bellingham, WA at 3:00 pm on April 12, 2012.
In lieu of flowers the family requests memorial donations be made to the Salvation Army of Bellingham, 9300 W Broadway Street, Bellingham, WA 00000.
Now that you have read the instructions and sample obituary above you should be ready to get started. Start by reading more sample obituaries, print an obituary formats guide, collect the information from friends and family, read more articles on how do you write an obituary and then finally use an obituary template to write your obit.
Updated: May 4, 2012